Those who are considering an MPP degree expect their job (and pay) to reflect the amount of work they are willing to put into their degree. Read on to learn about the average pay for someone who holds an MPP, the basics of this master’s program, and a few other key facts you should know.
What is an MPP?
A Master of Public Policy is a degree focused on data and analysis skills. An MPP allows folks who are interested in a career in public policy to deeply understand the ins and outs of government.
The Master of Public Policy (MPP) is often referred to as “the industry standard” when it comes to public policy degrees.
What skills do you learn while acquiring an MPP? Here are just a few:
- Ability to assess public problems.
- Ability to collaborate effectively in creating and implementing solutions.
- Ability to develop policy responses appropriately.
- Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of a program.
Expected Salary after an MPP
Though it’s pretty tough to estimate a salary based on a degree, you can estimate salary fairly well based on a specific job. A common job for graduates who hold an MPP degree is a policy analyst, making it a great career upon which to base our estimate. A policy analyst’s average salary is estimated to start at around $64,000.
It’s important to keep in mind that this is the starting salary, not a salary you would be receiving after ten years in the field. It’s also important to remember that those with master’s degrees are more likely to earn more than those in their field without master’s degrees. In addition to this, federal workers are estimated to move up a step in their pay grade once every 1-2 years.
Differences Based on Context
Context matters when it comes to salary. Most important is the context of the sector you will be working in. This could include the private, public, or nonprofit sectors.
When inquiring about average pay, consider these questions-
- Are the jobs I’ll be seeking post-graduation in the private or public sectors?
- What region of the country do I plan to pursue a job in?
- Are the jobs I’m pursuing found in bigger units of government or smaller units of government?
These questions will help you get a better idea of how much you should expect to be making after acquiring your Master’s degree in public policy.
What Else Do You Need to Know About an MPP?
Here are a few other key things to note about a Master’s in Public Policy.
- This degree is offered online and on campus.
- This degree program includes lots of collaborative work.
- Those who graduate with an MPP degree often enter careers as policy analysts, consultants, and policymakers.
We hope you now know a little bit more about how much money you can make as an MPP. Folks who hold a Master’s in public policy have plenty of exciting opportunities available to them post-graduation, and their expected salary will reflect that!